What’s required for a complete residential electrical service upgrade?

Homes use more electricity than they did before. Unfortunately, the electrical power systems installed several decades ago are no longer providing the electrical capacity modern homes require. As a result, your home might require an electrical service upgrade, and several factors are involved.

Mr. Electric of Edmonton offers electrical service upgrades in Edmonton. Here they share helpful information about complete residential electrical service upgrades.

Components of an electrical service upgrade

A full-service upgrade usually consists of upgrading the main components of your residential electrical system.

Meter mast

Your electrical meter mast is the pole that leads out of your electrical meter towards the overhead or underground service wire. Homeowners are responsible for repairs or upgrades of the mast, and your electrical utility owns the overhead or underground lines.

Electrical meter

You’ll typically find your electrical meter outside the home. It attaches to the mast (either above or below ground to the utility line). For a service upgrade, often the meter needs replacing. In older homes, the meter might be inside. In this case, your electrician will move it to the exterior.

Electrical panel

Older homes typically have a 100 AMP service panel, but mid-century homes could even have a 60 AMP service. Mr. Electric recommends upgrading to a 200 AMP electrical panel so you’ll have the capacity for modern needs. Sometimes, the electrical panel might be relocated or amalgamated with extra panels simultaneously.

Why invest in an electrical service upgrade?

More power

Modern homes consume more power than an older electrical system can handle. Operating modern appliances, electronics, and devices on an older system can overload it. As a result, you might experience frequent circuit tripping or more hazardous issues. Upgrading the system will ensure your home has the electrical capacity it needs to run safely and conveniently.

Upgrading the home

During a home renovation, you might upgrade things requiring higher electrical service. For example, installing hot tubs, a second kitchen, or an electric vehicle charger will require an electrical system with more capacity.

Additionally, you might want to set your home up for future needs and upgrade to 200 AMP service now. If you have questions about future electrical requirements, connect with electricians in Edmonton like Mr. Electric.


If your breakers are constantly tripping, or you’ve noticed heat, buzzing from your electrical panel, or flickering lights, your home could be at risk. Faulty electrical equipment is a leading cause of house fires. Protect your home and family by calling the best electricians in Edmonton for an electrical service upgrade.

Insurance policies

Check your homeowner’s insurance policy. An older electrical system that no longer meets the electrical code might not be covered for any damages the system could cause. For example, a dated panel could be a fire hazard. So, your insurance policy might be void if it requires a 100AMP service and you’re still operating on a 60AMP service. In addition, you might have trouble insuring a new-to-you home without bringing up the electrical system to the current code.

Is it time for an electrical service upgrade? Contact Mr. Electric of Edmonton!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *